Final Pre-Departure Checklist
Your flight is booked, your housing is arranged, your trip is approaching. Now what? Here's a final pre-departure checklist:
- Complete all items in your Comets Abroad Portal checklist at least 3 weeks prior to your departure.
- Notify your bank/credit card companies of your travel plans.
- If you’re a U.S. citizen, register your trip through the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you're an international student, check for a similar program in your home country.
- Schedule a physical with your doctor or the Student Health Center.
- Make sure your prescriptions are legal in your host country and arrange to have enough medication to last your entire trip, if possible.
- Schedule a dental check-up.
- Make photocopies or scans of important documents (passports, visas, travel itinerary, housing address, credit/debit cards, etc.).
- Create an Emergency Communications Plan.
- Research recommended vaccines for your host country.
- Create a budget for your time abroad using this budget worksheet.
- Consider applying for an International Student Identity Card (ISIC). This internationally-recognized card can be used to prove your student status abroad, while also providing access to over 150,000 discounts and benefits.
- Call your cell phone provider to discuss international coverage plans.
- Pack your bags.